May is Mental Health Awareness Month. The issues of mental health and substance use certainly have been brought in to the spotlight over the last few years and tobacco use in these groups are higher than in the general population. Why is that? This issue of the Tobacco Free Boone County newsletter focuses on the relationship between tobacco, mental health, and substance use. Click here to read!
The relationship between these 3 topics goes much deeper than what could be covered in a 2 page newsletter. Check out some of these great resources if you’d like to learn more.
- American Psychological Association: Smoking and Mental Illness
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA): Tobacco and Behavioral Health: The Issue and Resources
- Bringing Indiana Along
- Truth Initiative: How Tobacco Companies Linked Cigarettes and Mental Health
- Truth Initiative: Tobacco is a Social Justice Issue: Mental Health
- Truth Initiative: 3 Myths About Mental Health and Quitting Smoking
- Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids: Tobacco Use and Mental Health
- Tobacco Control: Marketing to the Marginalised: Tobacco Industry Targeting of the Homeless and Mentally Ill
Check out the newsletter archive here.
Would you rather have a physical copy of the newsletter mailed to you? Have any ideas or suggestions? Please contact Tobacco Free Boone County.