Fires caused by smoking has defended its spot as the #1 cause of home-fire deaths for the last 2 decades. Cigarettes that come in contact with trash, mattresses, bedding, and upholstered furniture cause the bulk of these deadly fires. Most fires start in either bedrooms, living rooms, family rooms, and dens. People who use medical oxygen therapy and smoke are especially at risk because these tanks deliver a high concentration of oxygen which allows fire to burn much faster and much hotter. Unfortunately, a Zionsville woman passed away last summer due to smoking while using her home medical oxygen device.


People who smoke should take care to never smoke around mattresses, bedding, upholstered furniture, or medical oxygen devices and take care that ashes or butts are never dropped near them. The best way to prevent fires in the home is to smoke outside and make sure cigarettes are put out completely every time. People who smoke should dispose of ashes and butts in a wide-based ash tray to prevent any tipping or a bucket with sand. If there’s no ash tray available, they need to make sure that their cigarettes are no longer lit and should douse any ashes or butts with water or sand before throwing them in the trash.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *